Elected Police Commissioners May Let In The BNP – Says Rob Flello MP For Stoke-on-Trent South

In a House of Commons debate on the Governments ‘Policing in the 21st Century’, Home Secretary Teresa May took Stoke-on-Trent South MP Rob Flello [Lab] to task over his insistence that the introduction of Elected Police Commissioners could result in the BNP having a say in law enforcement.

Elected Police Commissioners form part of a widespread Police reform that will also see a return of professional responsibility to front line officers.

Policing in the 21st Century will also witness the creation of a powerful national crime agency with the responsibility of protecting our borders and tackling organised crime.

The Home Secretary also said that the coalition will also make the police a more efficient force to protect the levels of front-line local policing. Teresa May also announced that there was to be a new ’101′ non emergency number for the reporting of low level crime and anti-social behaviour.

Shadow Home Secretary Alan Johnson [Lab] responded by insisting the title of her statement should be amended to ‘Policing in the 21st Century: How to make the job harder’.

He accused her of trotting out the same old drivel about the previous government that was, in his words, probably written by some ‘pimply nerd’ foistered on her department by No.10.

Rob Flello MP for Stoke-on-Trent South was promptly rebuked by the Home Secretary in response to his question:

Many of the improvements that the Home Secretary has talked about are already happening on the ground in Stoke-on-Trent, thanks to people such as Inspector Sharrard-Williams. Recently, however, the House might have seen a man who runs the British National party claiming that he has 1 million followers-that is, 1 million people voting BNP-in the UK. What happens when the BNP stands for one of these commissioner posts, as will happen, and gets it?

Teresa May retorted:

This is something that the hon. Gentleman and his colleagues have raised on a number of occasions, and I will give him two answers. If he looks at the voting record so far, he will see that the British National party has never managed to get more than 15% of the vote in an election. But let us set that to one side; I actually believe in trusting the people of this country

Flello courted controversy during the recent General Election campaign when he appealed to the electorate in Normacot to vote Labour as a vote for any other candidate could let in the BNP.

The British National Party had disastrous results in both the General and Local elections which resulted in the loss of many council seats around the country. They failed to achieve their coveted prize of an Member of Parliament.

Rob Flello Calls On Home Secretary To Make A Statement On EDL

MP for Stoke on Trent South Rob Flello has called for Home Secretary Alan Johnson to make a urgent statement concerning the English Defence League demonstration in Hanley on Saturday.

He also expressed concern at the level of violence displayed by some of its followers.

Mr Flello asked Speaker John Bercow:

“In the light of the appalling violence and religious and racial hatred from the so-called English Defence League in Stoke on Trent on Saturday, and despite the excellent work of the police in responding to it, have you heard any indication at all from the Home Secretary that he intends to make a statement.”

Mr Bercow responded saying that there were no plan as yet for Mr Johnson to make any statement about the protest.

The Muslim Council of Britain as also told of a growing disenchantment at the governments response to anti-Islamic hostility within the country.

Dr. Muhammad Abdul Bari the MCB’s secretary general told in a letter to the Home Office of a “growing disenchantment at the lacklustre response from political leaders to speak out against anti-Muslim hatred.”

The Letter goes on to ask better policy response to the actions of far-right groups and asks the government to take leadership in the matter. The MCB also show censers of a leaning to these right-wing divisive elements in the run up to the general election.

In response to the letter , a spokesman for the Department for Communities said that the EDL did not represent the vast majority of people in the country, that the Government condemns any group that seeks to create distrust and division between communities and was working to address all forms of extremism, including violent far-right groups.

Islam4UK Banned!

Home Secretary Alan Johnson has announced that the radical Islamist organisation Islam4UK is to be banned.

The controversial group had threatened to march through the Wiltshire town of Wooton Bassett.

Wooton Bassett has become famous for it’s respectful and dignified tribute to the Country’s fallen heroes in Afghanistan.

The towns citizens line the streets of the town in honour of those who have lost their lives in the service of our Country.

Islam4UK had caused outrage by planning a march through the town. The group announced at the weekend that they had decided not to go ahead with the march because the story had highlighted the plight of Muslims in Afghanistan.

The potteries branch of the organisation have carried out two demonstrations in support of the protest, the latest being in Cobridge Park last Sunday.

Alan Johnson, speaking to the media this morning said:

“I have today laid an order which will proscribe al-Muhajiroun, Islam4UK, and a number of the other names the organisation goes by”.

“It is already proscribed under two other names – al-Ghurabaa and The Saved Sect.

“Proscription is a tough but necessary power to tackle terrorism and is not a course we take lightly.

“We are clear that an organisation should not be able to circumvent proscription by simply changing its name.”

In law, a group can be banned if it “commits or participates in acts of terrorism, prepares for, promotes or encourages terrorism or is otherwise concerned in terrorism”.

PM enters drugs row

By Tony Walley.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has entered the on-going row between the Home Secretary Allan Johnson and the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs [ACMD] by backing the sacking of its Chairman, Professor David Nutt.

An official Downing Street spokesman insisted that Johnson’s decision was based on an “important principle” that advisers should present advice to ministers but should not campaign against their policy decisions.

Johnsons decision to sack Professor Nutt has sparked a number of resignations from the 28 strong Advisory Council, with more tipped to follow suit.

The Home Secretary has responded to the resignations by ordering a snapshot review of how the council operates.

Professor Nutt was fired following the publication of a paper by the Centre for Crime and Justice at King’s College London, based on a lecture he delivered in July. He repeatedly expressed the view that illicit drugs should be classified according to the actual evidence of the harm they cause.

He claims that alcohol should rank fifth in the index of harmful drugs, behind cocaine, heroin, barbiturates and methadone; and tobacco should rank ninth, ahead of cannabis, LSD and ecstasy.

He also controversially argued that smoking cannabis created only a “relatively small risk” of psychotic illness.

Allan Johnson reacted furiously to the suggestion by Sky TV’s Adam Boulton during a televised interview that he had sacked the professor because he did not like what he had to say.

The Home Secretary replied: “You cannot have a chief adviser at the same time stepping into the public field and campaigning against Government decisions.”

In a letter to the Guardian newspaper Mr Johnson referred to Professor Nutts comparison to the risk of riding a horse and taking ecstasy: “There are not many kids in my constituency in danger of falling off a horse – there are thousands at risk of being sucked into a world of hopeless despair through drug addiction.”

Writing in the Times newspaper, Professor Nutt warned more of the remaining 28 members could leave.

He said: “It seems unlikely that any ‘true’ scientist will be able to work for this, or future, home secretaries.

“My sacking has cast a huge shadow over the relationship of science to policy.

“Several of the science experts from the ACMD have resigned in protest and it seems likely that many others will follow suit.

“This means the Home Office no longer has a functioning advisory group, which is very unfortunate given the ever-increasing problems of drugs and the emergence of new ones.”

The ACMD is a statutory body which was established by Parliament after a 1971 Act which brought in the concept of classifying illegal drugs into three categories, with class A being the most harmful and C being the least harmful.

Gurkha policy a national disgrace!

By Pits’n’Pots Reporter.

A day after St George’s day, when we are supposed to feel proud of our nationality, my emotions have turned full circle at the news that our country’s administration have turned their back on the Gurkhas!

The veterans of this brave fighting force who risked their lives for Britain suffered a major blow today in their attempts to win the right to settle here.

The Home Office announced that after a High Court ruling 10,000 more former soldiers and family members would be eligible to live permanently in Britain, but campaigners say that in reality the new rules may help fewer than 100 men.

The Home Secretary agreed to announce a new policy on the right of Gurkhas to settle in Britain after campaigners returned to court last month to enforce a legal ruling won at the Royal Courts of Justice in September. A High Court judge had ruled that the Government’s existing immigration policy, excluding veterans from settling, was unlawful.

The Home Office said that it would will allow in around 4,300 more former Gurkhas out of a total of 36,000 who served in Britain’s Armed Forces prior to July 1997.

Phil Woolas, the Immigration Minister, said: “This guidance honours the service, commitment and gallantry of those who served with the Brigade of Gurkhas. Now, another 10,000 Gurkhas and family members will be able to benefit from our revised guidance.”

He denied that the Government had betrayed the Gurkhas.

Rules introduced in 2004 allowed serving Gurkhas with at least four years’ service to settle in the UK but they did not apply to Gurkhas discharged from the British Army before July 1, 1997.

Under the new guidelines Gurkhas and their families will be allowed to settle if they meet one of five criteria: they have three years’ continuous residence in the UK during or after their service; they have close family in the UK; they received a level 1-3 bravery award, including the Victoria Cross, the Distinguished Service Order and the Military Cross; they served for 20 years or more; or they suffer from a chronic or long-term medical condition caused by, or aggravated by, service in the brigade.

In addition Gurkhas will normally be allowed to settle in Britain if they meet two or more of the following criteria: they were previously awarded an MoD disability pension but no longer have a chronic medical condition; they were mentioned in dispatches; they served for 10 years; or they received a campaign medal for active service in the brigade.

The brigade was formed after the partition of India in 1947, but Nepalese Gurkha soldiers have been part of the British Army for almost 200 years.

More than 200,000 Gurkhas fought for the Allies during the First and Second World Wars, with 43,000 giving their lives. There are currently around 3,500 serving Gurkhas.

Please watch this videos:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gl73LtFrlU

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA4CcrChFeA

What do you think about this appalling policy?

Over to you……

Source:Timesonline/ITN

The Ultimate Abuse of Taxpayers Money?

By Tony Walley.

Jacqui Smith

Jacqui Smith

JACQUI SMITH has claimed Commons expenses, paid by the taxpayer, for the cost of watching adult films at her family home.

The Home Secretary, already embroiled in an expenses row, submitted the bill as part of a £67 claim for television services in June last year.

As she fought for her political life last night, Ms Smith apologised after being confronted by the Sunday Express.

She promised to repay the money. In a statement she said: “I am sorry that in claiming for my internet connection, I mistakenly claimed for a television package alongside it.

“As soon as the matter was brought to my attention, I took immediate steps to contact the relevant parliamentary authorities and rectify the situation. All money claimed for the television package will be paid back in full.”

A source close to Ms Smith, 46, said last night that she had not been at the family home in Redditch, Worcestershire, on April 1 and April 6 last year when the adult films were viewed.

The source said she was “furious” with her husband, adding: “She was not watching these films, has never watched them and is horrified that this would end up anywhere near a taxpayer-related claim.”

An itemised receipt submitted to the Commons confirms the Virgin Media bill included two 18-rated items listed as “additional features”, which cost £5 each to view.

The company confirmed the phrase was a euphemism used on bills to spare the blushes of  customers who access films with an “adult content”.

Viewers can tune in to one of six adult channels, offering full-length films and “the best of amateur video and adult entertainment”.

It seems that this government just stumbles from one abuse of taxpayers monet to another. Surely the whole expenses fiasco must be reviewed. The public should not have tp put up with any more examples of mis-use of public funds. Smith’s reputation is already tarnished, and this latest episode may be the straw that “broke the camels back”! Tom McNulty is also facing an enquiry into claims that he received public money the cost of his second home, used by his parents and not more than 10 miles from the house of commons.

Over to you, what do you think about the whole MP’s expenses fiasco?………

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeF36BWgKhE

Source: Sunday Express/ITN

Launch of Labours New Counter Terrorism Strategy!

By Pits’n’Pots Reporter

Labour’s Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, has launched a revised version of the Government’s strategy for countering international terrorism.
Drawing on the experience gained and lessons learnt since it was first established in 2003, the strategy gives a detailed account of the principles which provide the basis for the Government’s response to the terrorist threat.

Labour’s Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, said:

Jacqui Smith

Jacqui Smith

“Protecting the public is my key objective and the aim of the Government’s new counter terrorism strategy is to reduce the risk of terrorism to allow people to go about their lives freely and with confidence.

“The UK has one of the most comprehensive and wide ranging approaches to tackling terrorism in the world and we have updated our CONTEST strategy to take account of the evolving threat, the lessons we have learned and the new challenges we face.”